Sunday, November 29, 2009

Gracias por arroz?

Ok, so this has been a crazy week! Thursday was Thanksgiving, and then last night there was a bridal shower for Michelle, the director's daughter. Tonight is the graduation ceremony. Plus, everyone is preparing to leave.
I must say, I have been reminded more than once that I need to trust in God and not worry,but the air of anxiety has made this a temptation for me.
On Thanksgiving, all the Peruvians got the impression that Thanksgiving is all about food. And, in their minds, not even good food. But the Americans were soooo excited for this delicious taste of home. There were a few of my mom's best dishes that I missed, but overall, the meal was well prepared and muy rico. :) The Peruvians even tolerated it, after piling rice high on top of their mashed potatoes and gravy (why?).
I asked one Peruvian why he had to ruin the perfectly good meal with his rice, and he said: For me, food without rice is not food. And although I respectfully disagree, he made me think.
For me, life without Christ is not life. Or, at least that is the correct perspective of life. When I try to live the life God has called me to without the power of His Spirit, it's a wasted effort. And the resulting life is not life at all. This was a valuable lesson that I needed to be reminded of this Thanksgiving, and so I am even thankful for the rice.

I kept up with 30 Days of Thanksgiving (ending on Thanksgiving) and I wanted to let you all know that I am especially thankful for all those who supported me in coming here, whether it was through finances, gifts, kind words, or, most importantly, PRAYER! I am eternally grateful. You have been a blessing in my life. And I know I have lacked in the area of expressing my gratitude. So, thank you.

30 Days of Thanksgiving:
  1. School
  2. My Bible
  3. My parents
  4. Food
  5. Quiet Moments
  6. Nature
  7. Airplanes
  8. Tomas the Lamb
  9. Unexpected blessings
  10. Candy and Bailey
  11. Transportation (in various forms)
  12. CoCo
  13. Candy's Passport ;)
  14. Shirley and Karina
  15. US Military
  16. Internet
  17. Amy, Masa, and Stephanie R.
  18. Becca, Leah and Stephani M.
  19. Malinda H. and Mrs. Swinney
  20. Girls I miss: Lauren, Coral, Nichol
  21. Serene and Skyler
  22. My Pastors
  23. God's Consistency
  24. 2 years of Community College
  25. God choosing and using me
  26. Calvary Chapel Lima
  27. A good night's sleep
  28. Martyrs
  29. Christmas with Family
  30. Jesus' sacrifice/my salvation

No comments: