Sunday, November 1, 2009

Almost too Good to be True

Last night, I went to the Cliffs, which is a favorite hang out spot for the students here. It is a quiet grassy cliff area where you can see the beach and a point on the peir. It's beautiful, if a little smoggy, there, and it's one of the few ways you can escape from the noise of campus and the busy city of Lima.
There are millions of people here in Lima, and the trafic is never ending. There are about 70 people living on our tiny campus and more than 200 on campus most days between 8 am and 10 pm. The noise just doesn't stop. And I am easily disturbed by this.
I never thought of myself as an introvert. In fact, at home, I often sought a way out of the quiet so that I could enjoy the company of my friends and family. But here, I crave quiet. I crave a time where I will be uninterupted in a single prayer time, Bible study, phone call, or thought. I hate that from about 6:30 am until 11 pm I cannot find quiet. It practically kills me emotionally.
But last night, the last two months of noise floated away in about 15 minutes as I found an open spot a few yards away from my friends and spent some time with my beloved Jesus. We talked in a way that I have missed, and I was refreshed and filled with joy. It was almost too good to be true. And it was exactly what I needed. I pray and have a "quiet time" everyday, but I find it so hard to focus and just relax in the presence of my God with so many distractions around me. But last night, there were none. It was me, the grass, the ocean, the breeze and my Savior in glorious fellowship.
Tuesday, I am leaving for a mission trip to Cuzco. And I am not exactly physically finished preparing. and I am sure that I could use some more time with God. But last night was the best preparation I could have hoped for. And I am going to try and get more of it from now on.
I am challenging you, to find a place of quiet, and enjoy time without distractions. Without any noise. Without other people. Just you and God. This can be so difficult, but it is so rewarding!!!
I love you all and I have nothing else to share this week. Please pray for my team as we reach out to the people of Cuzco. God bless.

No comments: