Sunday, October 25, 2009

La Pan de Vida

I am sure that it is not a big deal in the eyes of most that I am "late" posting to my blog, but I am going a little crazy right now in my attempt to update all of you before 11pm Peru time. I have had a mostly normal week with a few curve balls. But this week was actually the most relaxing week so far. And it shouldn't have been, really, but God has given me such an overwhelming peace about life, so I know I can rest in Him.
Monday, we started Daniel class, which is muy chebere. (Let me apologize now for random Spanish which has begun to sneak into my everyday speech. I take t as a good sign.) I am learning a lot about the character of Daniel, but also of God especially in the way He works in the life of sinners. I am fascinated by the story of Nebuchadnezzar, and I am fairly certain I will meet him in that great day and understand so much more of his God-inspired story.
We leave a week from tomorrow for our mission trips and I am fairly certain my destination is Cuzco! Exciting. Hopefully I will get to see some awesome ruins while serving the new church plant there!
I thought I would share with all of you that I have slept through 3 meals this week. This makes perfect sense to anyone who knows me well or has seen me before 9:00am. As much as I love food, and I have accepted this fact since being here (especialmente la comida de Juanita, esta muy buena) I love sleep even more! I am learning to not be lazy or sluggish, but I know God understands the basic appreciation I get in fulfilling my natural human need for sleep. And I also don't really do mornings, but I have been. But I CANNOT wake up on my own. So, last Sunday, I slept until it was just about time to leave for church! I hurried and rushed and scurried and every other word that would apply, I did. I don't know that I focused much that morning, but I truly appreciated lunch that afternoon.
Then, the next day, I woke up, and like every weekday, I laid in bed waiting for someone to yell, "Diesiuna esta listo!" Pero, no! I heard it not. I fell back to sleep and woke up 30 min after breakfast and just 45 min before I needed to be in Devo's.
Today, I made it to breakfast, ate 2 bowels of the way-too-sweet cereal that is served here on Sunday (and now Saturday) mornings. Then, I had a sandwich at church and enjoyed Chifa (mi favorita) for lunch. After lunch cleanup, I fell asleep. I woke up when dinner was over and had no time to eat before church. So, I went to Metro (which is like a big grocery store... kinda like Fry's) and bought some panes and an ice cream bar. (A typical Rachael meal back home.) :)
There is a song one of the Spanish students wrote that we sing here a lot. I love it. Here is part of it:
Jesus, mi luz
Jesus, mi amor.
Eres el Pan de Vida
y la esparanza de mis dias.
Translated:
Jesus, my light
Jesus, my love
You are the Bread of Life
And the Hope for my days.
I really wanted to share this with you to show how much I have been encouraged this week that God is my provider. He will supply all I need. All the money I need for school and for missions. All the nourishment I need when I miss a meal. All the rest I need when I wake up early and don't get coffee. He is it. He is everything.
This knowledge encourages me to follow the path laid out for me, no matter how difficult, because I know He has taken care of all the needs that I have.
Isaiah 64:4 dice: "Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides You, who acts on behalf of those who wait for Him."
If we wait on God, He will act on our behalf, just as He acted on behalf of Daniel and his friends while they were in captivity. Just as he acted on behalf of Nebuchadnezzar when he repented. Just as He acted on behalf of Stephen who saw heaven open up at the point of his greatest persecution. Just as He acted on behalf of every person who has ever turned to Him and received a Spirit of sonship. We now have the right to call Him, "Abba" which translated means, not "Father", although that is an appropriate name for God, but "Daddy" as a child in need, and in love with the one who provides for us. That is our God!
So, I have no challenge this week, just encouragement. I ask that you pray for my Spanish... It is getting better, but I am nervous about the trip next week. Thank you all for your continuous love and prayers. They mean more than I could explain in any language.

1 comment:

drea said...

Good to hear from you, we love the updates. I will be praying for your trip. Love the Spanish by the way, I can understand more than I can speak. I better study myself.

love you girl