Sunday, October 4, 2009

Speaker's Week

Not a very exciting title this week, sorry. But this is all I think could appropriately define this week. Indeed, it was Speaker's Week, and the Speaker was Dan Edwards. It was an awesome class called "Principles of Ministry", and it was just what I needed.
Last Sunday ended with another awesome bilingual service, and plenty of sleep. Then, Monday, class started. I learned so much that I wish I could share with you, but that's just not practical. Friday, the class ended, and yesterday Dan and his wife flew back to CA. But the good news is that they are returning in January, and Dan will be a regular teacher at the Bible College. :)
Now, I would like to share with you the two most valuable things that I learned this week. One is definitely more "spiritual" than the other, but they both help me in my walk with Christ and have caused a lot of thinking this week.
First of all, I am completely, 100% positive that I am called to do drama ministry with young Christian actors, and I learned that my overwhelming desire is good. I have an unquenchable need to be active in planning, dreaming and otherwise preparing for this ministry. And it is sometimes difficult to appreciate the time I have here to learn because I desire so desperately to be doing this great thing that God has placed upon my heart. I can see how God has called me and confirmed that call in my life. I can see how He has carefully prepared me throughout my life for this. Also, we took a spiritual gifts test for class, and it said I have the gift of teaching... And another gift that I think was a fluke, but that's ok, I will believe this teacher thing. I find that makes sense to me.
Secondly, I learned that there are many kinds of adventures. And while I love the run-onstage-and-do-something-silly kind, and rather enjoy the fly-to-another-country-where-you-don't-speak-the-language kind, I am not at all fond of the walk-around-the-city-aimlessly-for-2-hours-without-a-destination kind. I really hate to do stuff that is not planned. I have gotten much better at dealing with changes in plans and even last minute plans, but no plans at all doesn't jive with my personality. Unfortunately that was lost to me when I decided to go for a walk on Thursday. I don't know what I was thinking. Matt, who happens to be a great leader, decided that we were going on an adventure, and I wanted to get off campus, so I agreed to go. I didn't realize at the time that this meant that he had no idea where he was leading us or that we would spend a majority of the night walking on seemingly endless cement roads.
I had slept quite a lot the night before and had a lot of pent up energy, so I was pretty bored at the leisurely pace of my 7 traveling companions who must have known better than I that we would need that energy in a couple hours. We stopped at a total of four public restrooms, a park, a museum, and a bookstore. There was some tree climbing and dog feeding that occurred, and I even rolled down a hill. By the end, I had enjoyed myself some, but I had also come to the conclusion that I am not adventurous by Matt's standard. And pretty much everyone else was loving it, and sick of my questions and complaints.
Please pray for me this week. I need prayer in two areas. One: My Spanish! And the second is that I would have the right words to say to some friends of mine. There are several people that have contacted me since I started Bible College who do not understand what is the most important thing I have ever known, and I want to be sensitive in sharing with them about my Lord. Thank you all for your love and support. Your prayers are so precious to me. I don't have a challenge this week, so think of one and post it as a comment for me. :)

No comments: