Sunday, December 6, 2009

You say "Goodbye", I say "Hello"

I have been thinking about what I should write on this blog. I feel like the end of the semester should reflect on the beginning somehow and sort of sum up what I have learned and experienced. So, that's what I will try to do. But I also feel as though this is not the end of my time in Peru, but merely a vacation in the middle in which I will say goodbye once again to all my friends and family in the States. So, I want to share with you a piece of who I have become while here in Lima, and what I hope to continue in should my Bridegroom wait just a little longer.
When I came here, I had never been away from my parents or my baby sister (who is now 18) for more than a month. I had lived 20 years under the guidance and protection of two godly parents and their one set of rules. I was so accustomed to those rules, that I imagine I might have lived by them if I lived on my own. I was so used to their help, and I didn't even realize and appreciate how much they did for me.
Being here was really very difficult at first. I was living with several people who didn't come from the home of Doug and Tina Hicks. They didn't have the same ideas of "clean", "loud", or "appropriate". My roommates come form two different Latin American countries, and our communication was kinda slim in the first weeks.
After about a month, I found a real rhythm, and although I can't say the rest of my time was perfect, it was without any incident that would cause a rift in my relationships with my peers. I grew close with some of the girls who are in similar situations as me. I learned to love beyond language barriers and enjoy my replacement "sisters". My life is better than I dreamed it could be.
There are some things bout Peru that may never get used to or fully appreciate, like rice at every meal. There are some that I am not yet adjusted to, but have tried to embrace, like greeting others with a kiss. There are are some, that I have almost forgotten are not American and only realize when speaking to those who are not here, like Spanglish.
Peru has taken a place in my heart, but it has also grown my love for those back home. It is a place God used to break me from the world, but grow my love for the people of the world. I don't need my parents, my friends, my siblings, or my niece. But now I understand more what it means to love them like God. In being separated from them, God has made me depend on Him, and His love is the only love that allows me to see how much I was lacking.
When I came here, in many ways, I thought I had it together as a Christian. The first week crushed that, as I looked at the other students and felt I didn't measure up. The second week, I began to see they were just as humbled as me and we began, at that point, to grow together. They became a temporary family for me, and have encouraged my growth, sometimes unintentionally. That is what has made these last few days the hardest. Now it is time to say a farewell. Some of them I plan to see in a few months. Others I may never see again this side of heaven. There is a small fear inside me of continuing without them what we have began together. But I KNOW that my God is big enough. He brought me here, and He'll finish to completion the work He has began in me.
There is so much more I could share, but I think this is enough. Your challenge: Welcome me home with the realization that this will be an adjustment for me, but know that I have appreciated every moment you spent reading my blog and praying for me. Know that I love you all, and I often think of you fondly. You have brought a piece of our true Home to me, and I can't wait to see you all!

No comments: