Sunday, December 13, 2009

Re-entry

So, I read this book for my missions class. It was called Serving as Senders. It was full of information for missionaries, and those who want to support them, about how to set up a support system. And in the book, as well as the class, there was a great emphasis on this idea that Mr. Pirolo calls "Re-entry". This is apparently the most stressful period for a missionary, and often is overlooked by those around them.
This is the period I am in now. I thought that the book and my instructors were exaggerating when they told us we would have culture shock when we went home. It didn't seem likely since I was a student here for four months that I would have changed so drastically. I mean, I love Peru, but I still want to eat hamburgers, and thank the Lord, we have sceptic systems in the US of A. And, I don't have to greet everyone in my church with a kiss. I was certain that I would be so thrilled to be home that I would not be able to go through separation anxiety.
Well, unfortunately, I was wrong, and reverse culture shock has crept in here and there in my life. However, I wanted to say thank you to all my friends and family who have made this shock easier to deal with. I must say that I feel extremely loved and blessed to have so many caring people in my life who have been genuinely concerned with both my semester in Peru and my return to the States.
This week, I have discovered a new weakness to boast in. And a new fondness for Arizona, the state that has slowly wooed me for the last several years. I love my family, biological and spiritual, that reside temporarily in this State while awaiting our permanent Home.

No comments: