Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas... and all that jazz.

So, I wrote a Christmas letter for the first time in my life! I really had a hard time convincing myself it was ok but I think I did a pretty good job. And I am going to mail it... hopefully tomorrow. ;) I have been a little behind schedule this season. But I would love to share it with all my blog buddies now. But first, let me add, that I have really been enjoying my time at home. I love this time of year, and I love my family and friends. I am so glad to share this time with you all.
And without further ado... the letter:

Dear Friends and Family,
This year has been one of excitement and new opportunities for me. I have learned so much as I have grown closer to my Lord. This Christmas, as I reflect on the year that has passed, I see how God has used each experience to grow me into a woman capable of fulfilling the call He has placed on my life.
In January I had the opportunity to travel out of the country for the first time on a mission trip to Ethiopia. I was blessed by the prayer and support from many people all over the USA. There, I was able to learn more about several ministries and what it takes to get a ministry started and keep it running. Although I have been on many mission trips within the States, there were lessons I still needed to learn before I was ready to live in another country.
After returning to Arizona, I applied for Bible College in Lima, Peru. About one week before my graduation from Estrella Mountain Community College, I received an acceptance letter and began preparing to move to Peru. I realized that my life was changing drastically. Since graduating from High School, I had worked to pay for my food, my gas, my books, everything except rent and tuition. Now, I was going to be living without an income. At one point I realized that the money I had previously earned and the money my parents had available was not enough to pay for my mid-semester mission trip to Cuzco. Knowing that God had called me to Peru, I was learning to trust that He would provide. I had ideas about how missionaries must raise money, but most of the support I received came from unexpected sponsors. And I was completely overcome with gratitude and humility by the way God’s people responded to my need.
Through that trip to Cuzco, many came to know the Lord, and many believers were encouraged in their ministry to the people in the Andes and the Urabumba Valley. It was a joy to be there for one week as God moved in the lives of so many. I am so glad I was able to be part of that.
Besides my short trip to Cuzco, I have been part of a local ministry in Lima ran by a wonderful woman from Switzerland named Doris. She takes in children whose parents cannot care for them and raises them in her home, which she calls “El Refugio” or “The Refuge”. Every Saturday, I go visit Doris and the kids with two other students. We play with them and teach them English. They have been such a blessing to me. It has really been an opportunity to put into practice what I learn in the classroom.
Now, I am home for the holidays, but I am planning to return to Peru. I have learned that God will supply for all my needs, and more. I want to thank all of you who have supported me with prayer, encouragement and all forms of support throughout my journey. God has used each of you to reach the people of Lima and the Urabumba Valley. I ask that you continue to remember me and the people of Peru throughout the New Year. I am blessed to know you all, and see how God has used you.

Merry Christmas,

Rachael Hicks

*If you are interested in supporting God's work through me in Lima, please let me know so I can give you more information or answer your questions. Email me at MissionaryHicks@gmail.com

1 comment:

Meli_Mama said...

Awesome letter! I'm so excited for the year you have had.