Sunday, July 25, 2010

Our equipo in Arequipa

I, along with seven of my friends from Lima, was able to spend a great week in Arequipa with a team of young people from 5 churches from Virginia and North Carolina. We had a blast as we ministeredalong side Pastor Efrain and his church. We dug in the dirt, ate at a fancy restaraunt and experienced pretty much everything in between. This was a great trip for this group because it showed them a great variety of what Peru's mission field looks like.
I was happy to take part in their experience, and get to know yet another famous peruvian site. The team was amazed at arriving to Arequipa to find that those of use from Lima thought it especially clean and green. They almost cringed at the thought of something bigger, dirtier, and less green. I, loviing Lima as I do, basked in the sunshine we were able to enjoy as we went about our Father's business.
We shared Jesus in parks and schools, helped at a construction site for a new church, and came alongside the coffee shop ministry there. It was a blessing for me to see these young teens work so hard. I was refreshed in my spirit and reminded why I love ministry.
This summer has been a great struggle for me, and many of my close friends and family know. As much as I love Peru, this summer, my heart has been in Arizona and what is waiting for me there. On my trip to Arequipa, God gently reminded me that He has called me here for a reason. I am here to serve Him. I need to be focused on Him, not my ministry even, but on my God, my beloved.
With that said, I have one week left here in Lima, to enjoy my city and my friends before heading from the middle of winter, to mansoon season (God save me). I am planning to enjoy it. I know my next blog will be the better time to share this verse I have, but, just in case, I thought I'd share it now. This is a verse for the children's ministry team at CC Surprise, for my family, and for my fellow missionaries here. I came accross it last week while reading ahead during a team devo (shhhh... don't tell on me).
1 Thessalonians 2:17 -- "But we, brethren, having been taken away from you for a short while—in person, not in spirit—were all the more eager with great desire to see your face." (NASB)
This is my thought for you all. Though we are temporarily separated, my thoughts and prayers are with you. In fact, by that separation, my love for you is not weakened. On the contrary. My desire to be with you is even greater. I am excited to hear more about what God has done in my absense and to share what He has done in and with me.
God bless, and I'll see you soon. Very soon

No comments: