Sunday, April 4, 2010

Jungle Woman

Ok, so I spent the last week in Iquitos, which is a city in the jungle of Peru, along the Amazon River. It was amazing. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but I forgot my camera, and am now hanging my head in shame that I could not begin to describe to you what my week was like. Besides which, I am almost certain you do not have enough time to hear the thousands of words it would take, but I will try to give you a little piece anyway, and I will post pictures on Facebook, once I get some from my friends.
Our team left a little over a week ago, at 3 in the morning Saturday. We arrived in Iquitos, and rested a little, then the adventure began. We went to a place called Belen. It is a community of floating houses built in the shallow and slow parts of the river. The people row between houses on canoes. No joke. It's like Venice, but super poor.
The houses shook as we sang songs and did skits with the kids. They colored pictures of the good Samaritan, and spoke to us in their beautiful accents. I think we all lost part of our heart to the children of Iquitos.
The market is always a source of sadness for me, as I choke back tears and vomit that threaten to come out. I wish I could explain it to you in a way that could give you an accurate picture. You walk between medicine men, beautiful produce, rotting meat, starving dogs, scantily clad women, tasty jungle treats, and piles of garbage and animal feces. To the people here this is normal, but OCEA would throw a fit! I am sometimes angry with myself for my apprehension and disgust, and sometimes sad for them to have no other choice but this. One more result of a world under the curse of sin.
We also went on two boat trips during the week to jungle communities that are built just a little ways off the river. I felt like I was in a movie. It was unreal to see the animals and plants and the way of life of these people. Awesome. There was one bridge that was only a couple feet off the ground, but it was a real trip. The water was just a small stream beneath us, but we were told the bridge was necessary protection from snakes. We were able to swim in the jungle there, and it was a blast to minister to the people there through dramas, worship songs, teaching and children's ministry. I would love to go back some time.
Yesterday, we went to a zoo and swam in another part of the river closer to the city. We got to hold a baby anaconda and talk to some parrots. Then we flew home to Lima. A great end to a great week.
I think our whole team of ten Americans, one Peruvian, and one Colombian learned lessons we will never forget. God is really working in my heart to show me that I can do anything through His strength and nothing without it. I have known for a long time that I am called to be a missionary, but until this week I would not believe that I would be able to live in the jungle. Even still, I don't prefer the jungle to the city, but I definitely believe that I would joyfully serve my Lord if He called me there.
My prayer is for all the people I met this week, and that we shared with, that they would see the Lord who gives us strength. I pray that they would turn to Him for salvation that only comes through Him. I pray for all my friends and family back in Arizona that you would be open to whatever life God is calling you to. That you would allow Him to stretch your comfort zone and show you a life that you didn't think you could live. It may not be easy, but it will be worth it.
I miss you all a little more today, and may prayers and blessings are with you. Please don't forget all the people dying in the desert of Arizona and the valleys of California while you pray for the jungle surrounding Iquitos and the beaches of Lima.

No comments: