Sunday, January 3, 2010

Peruvian Elephants, and Other Things

It's funny how during the Holidays, you can become so distracted by little things, like the Christmas gift you misplaced, and forget what is really important, even momentarily. I am fortunate enough to have something to keep me on track... my blog. :)
Right now, it is December 31st, the last day of 2009. It has been a crazy year, but since I explained that in my last post, I won't dwell on that.
Tomorrow I am going with my dad on a road trip because I have been invited to share at my aunt's church in the town where I was born. That is why I am writing my blog early, although, hopefully it will post Sunday afternoon. I will be gone all weekend. I am excited, but, honestly a little nervous
I am now trying to think about all that I wish to share at this church, and I am sure of a few things that I wish to tell them, but I don't know these people very well, so it's a new situation, and therefore makes me a little nervous. I am planning to share a little about myself, a little about what I've done in Peru, and a little about what I am expecting from my next trip. I also want to share with them something that I think is very important. I want to tell them how important it is to be part of missions.
So many people think that missions is an offering or a position or a trip, but that's not true. It's a call of God on the life of every believer. Let me explain. In Psalm 108: 3 David said, "I will praise You, O LORD, among the nations; I will sing of You among the peoples." (NIV) God is a God who is to be declared. He desires us to share Him with others.
In Matthew 28:19-20, Jesus sent the disciples out with what we call the Great Commission. He told them to "Go and make disciples of every nation." He wanted the Good News to spread.
So, all Christians have a responsibility to share the gospel. But some do it in other parts of the world. I am one who is now going to another nation to share. This is what we call missions.
But I am not the only one who will receive a heavenly reward for my work in the mission field. anyone who takes a small part in sending me will also take part in any blessing I receive.
You who pray for me, who encourage me, who support me in so many ways, who learn from my ministry, all are as much a part of it as I am. You receive the same as me. This is your part, and it is sooooo important.
Romans 10:13-15 says:
For "whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved." How then shall
they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they
believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear
without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As
it is written: "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of
peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!" (NKJV)

And you are sending me! The type of logic Paul uses here is ascending points in which each point is more important than the previous and the last point ("And how shall they preach unless they are sent?") is most important. I might have beautiful feet as I preach the gospel to children in Cuzco, but you are sending me!

Thank you! And Happy New Year!

No comments: