Friday, January 16, 2009

It's Official!

Ok, so this has been yet another crazy-wonderful week. My brother's birthday was on Monday. Wednesday, I went to my post-op appointment and my mouth is healing right on schedule. And so, I spent the day half the day with my friend and the other half with my brother and his family. All the while chipping away at small tasks that are yet to be accomplished so that I can start school on next Tuesday and leave the continent on next Friday.
Thursday was my mom's day off so we went grocery shopping, and I picked up some stuff at Wal-Mart, a typical Thursday, except that I left my phone at home. Upon arrival, I realized I had not one, but two missed calls from Erica. Well, as much as we love each other, Erica and I do not spend hours chatting away, so for her to call me twic, something was up. So, certain something was terribly amiss with our travel plans, I immediately called her back.
I was relieved and excited to learn that Sarah is now joining us on the amazing, God-inspired trip. YAY!!!
So, I was whisped off to my family January-birthday dinner in honor of my brother and I. Yummy Chinese food, followed by Thrifty's ice-cream and a night of watching princess movies on my bed with my niece snuggled up beside me. It was good.
Then this morning came, I was getting ready and trying to see if I had enough clothes to last me through the coming week and my trip with out doing laudry when the phone rang... This time not exciting fun news. No, bad news. One of my classes had been dropped. I needed it to fit three different requirements so I could graduate on time. Panic Mode engaged! Now, I have scheduled my classes very carefully weighing several factors (including likelihood that they would get canceled). And all this was done, oh so long ago. I had a plan, a system. It was figured out. All my problems had been solved. To this my Heavenly Father just shook His head and held back a chuckle as He watched the fret and fury of a desporite college student as she raced around the house, grabbing the book she had already bought (and began to read) but would no longer need. I said a quick prayer and left for the school. As I drove down the road, my prayer continued a little something like this:
Lord, I know You can do anything. I know YOu have said You have all this under control. Help me now to believe it.
I waited in line and the waited in a waiting room. Then I saw the advisor. Of course there were no more Shakespeare classes. Of course, my first choice was full. And the second? Well, go figure. Yes, keep looking, please. Ok. Monday-Wednesday-Friday will have to do... unless. And then, God reminded me He was in charge... I asked the advisor to check to see what was available at the time of my canceled class. And, to my amazement, there was another class that fit all the same requirements. The only downside: an instructor I do not know.
But I do know this: God wants me in that class. There was a reason for this. If not only to prove to me, once again that He is in control and He has my best interest in mind. I should not doubt Him. Especcially after His amazing faithfulness in this trip to Africa.
So, now, I am officailly on track to graduate in May! And I am officially going to Ethiopia in one week! And I am praying I make it there in full sanity and return to school ready to learn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an exciting post! I am so excited to hear about Sarah and for you to graduate. Praying for you!

Sarah said...

YEAH!! See you in London!! Hey I'm sure Erica told you, but pray for me on Tuesday. I go and "hopefully" get my passport. I just pray that they don't look at me like I'm insane, and take my stuff, confirm I me, and then print me out one of those babies! AAAHHH!! I can't believe this is happening. See you guys soon!