Friday, August 15, 2008

What've You Been Doing Lately

Your life could use improving greatly.
I just wanted to know what's going on
when everything that goes is going wrong.
--Relient K
In Hebrews chapter 12 it says: "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees."
I've been getting some tough lessons thrown at me lately. And I'm just taking in all this spiritual muscle toning, awaiting the trial I know must be coming. God has definitely been testing me, and I think spiritually, I'm falling way short of my perfectionist 4.0 GPA.
Some tests I pass with flying colors; others I fail... miserably. But through this, God has proven faithful.
About a year ago, I had a friend tell me something that has stuck with me, and has helped me keep pressing on. She said, "God is the same today as He was a month ago. And He expects just as much of you now as He did then. Probably more."
God is immutable. He never changes. But He does change us. And He expects us to change to be more like Him.
Paul warned Timothy of the importance of being faithful to God's calling.
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, and in purity... Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers." (1Timothy 4:12, 16)
"Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus." (2Timothy 2:3) That part doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but it is important to endure.
And there is a promise. Paul wrote to the Philippians reminding them that he was "confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
So we must be disciplined and continue to grow. I must live the life God has called me to. But He will be there to do all the work.

1 comment:

God's Girl said...

Rachael,
I love reading what the Lord is doing in your life. I'll be praying for you as you go through trials. You are on the front lines of the battle field because you teach God's kids.

Stand firm Girl!

Love you,
Julie