Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Better late and Thankful, than early and... not Thankful.(?)

So, I didn't do the 30 days of Thanksgiving challenge that I usually do... But I was reminded to be thankful quite a bit in this month of Thanksgiving. I was especially thankful this month for my family. I love them entirely too much to just be thankful once a year, but this Thanksgiving was vary special, and I am so glad we got to share it.
Thanksgiving has always held a special place in my heart. I have memories from as early as 5 or 6 years old, enjoying a big family dinner at my Grammy's house with my mom's extended family. I loved everything about the holiday, even then. I love the food, the fact that all Christmas related activities seem to commence the next day. I love a lot of loud people all shoved into one house with the mixed smell of a burning pine log and a cooking turkey. I love the car ride through the streets lined by orange and red leaves.
When we moved to AZ and far from such things as trees and fall, and my extended family, Thanksgiving was kind of depressing for a few years. And last year, I was in another country, so it was very hard to be away from my family on Thanksgiving.
This year, however, was probably the best Thanksgiving I have ever had... and we celebrated on Saturday. My parents, all my siblings, and their families gathered at my brother's new home in Bakersfield. We stayed a few days and enjoyed food, fellowship and general Thanksgiving-ness. I held my niece and nephew close and explained why we celebrate this holiday. I told them how much they are loved and how thankful we are for them. I celebrated my family and was blown away by the faithfulness of God.
I love Thanksgiving.
We had an amazing meal, and an amazing time. I hope I never forget it. I think this was the first year I really celebrated Thanksgiving to the full extent.
I learned something this Saturday. Thanksgiving is not a day. It is an attitude of your heart. It is a conscious choice made to celebrate the blessings in your life. To feast and reflect and enjoy all that God has given. To be truly thankful. It is a special time set aside to do that and only that. I am glad it is such a big event annually so that we can make it so important and special, but we should really be full of thanksgiving each day.
So, today, I am thankful for the opportunity to share on this blog, and all that this blog has given back to me, through you, my readers.
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: